It rained all day this past weekend and I felt the urge to bake. Something about baking on a rainy day seems comforting to me, so I turned on some French café music and whipped out my baking gear. Now what to bake? I had plenty of ripe bananas on our kitchen counter. It’s been such a long time since I had a slice of sweet banana bread. I wanted to give my banana bread a little flare, so took a gander at my fridge and saw almond butter. Yum! I love bananas with almond butter. Why not make this into bread? The experiment was a success – super moist with a nutty punch.
By Shelly Chiang, Makes about 10-12 servings
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp nutmeg
- Pinch of salt
- 3 bananas
- 1/3 cup almond butter
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ cup canola oil
- ¾ cup apple sauce
- 1/3 cup almond milk
- ½ cup light brown sugar
- 3 tsp Ener-G egg replacer with 4 tbsp of warm water
1. Preheat oven 325 degrees
2. Mix dry ingredients – flour, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt
3. Blend or mash bananas
4. Mix wet ingredients – bananas, almond butter, vanilla, oil, apple sauce, almond milk, sugar. Don’t add egg replacer at this step – it will be mixed in later
5. Mix dry and wet ingredients together
6. Add 4 tbsp of warm water for 3 tsp of egg replacer. Mix water and egg replacer in a separate bowl. After powder is dissolved in the water, add to the mix
7. Grease 8×4 pan and bake for approx 1-1/2 hour. Do the toothpick test – insert a toothpick in the center of the loaf and if it comes out clean then the bread is done
8. Cool bread for 30 minutes
Great for breakfast!
You can also use the bread for dessert. We cut a small slice and made it into a vegan banana almond butter bread a la mode.
Just heat the bread for a few seconds and add your favorite ice cream. We used So Delicious Dairy Free Ice Cream Butter Pecan. It’s divine!