Mac n’ Cheese is one of my favorite foods. I get crazy over this stuff. When I became more plant-based mac n’ cheese was not on my menu. Although I missed it (especially my uncle’s mac n’ cheese) my body didn’t miss what it did to me afterwards, so I searched for a healthier version. I went to a couple vegan restaurants, but didn’t find one I was crazy about. This prompted me to make my own. Plus I’m trying to go more gluten-free these days, so the best way to meet my criteria was in the Stay Classy & Fit kitchen.
Servings 8, Inspired by Oh She Glows Cheeze Sauce
- 1 8oz box of Quinoa Pasta Shells
- ½ cup nutritional yeast (The main ingredient for your cheese sauce. You can find this at Whole Foods)
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- ¼ tsp paprika
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- ¼ tsp turmeric
- ½ tsp sea salt (add more if needed)
- 2 tsp dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tbsp tahini
- 1 tbsp dairy-free butter (Earth Balance)
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 3 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 ¼ cup pasta water (from cooked pasta)
Optional – You can add any of your favorite veggies and seasonings, but this mix is a winner.
- 1 cup of frozen broccoli rabe
- 1 clove of minced garlic
- ¼ cup of sundried tomatoes
- ½ tsp oregano
- ¼ tsp red pepper flakes
- Boil quinoa pasta. Drain the pasta when it’s al dente, but reserve about 2 cups of pasta water and set aside.
- Sautee garlic, broccoli rabe, and sundried tomatoes over medium heat. Set aside when cooked.
- Blend all cheese ingredients in the blender to make it extra creamy including 1 ¼ cup of pasta water (save the rest of the pasta water for later).
- Then heat cheese sauce over medium-low heat. Stir until the sauce thickens.
- Add pasta and stir. If you want to put more moisture add a little bit of pasta water and stir.
- Then add sautéed broccoli rabe and sundried tomatoes.
- Sprinkle oregano and red pepper flakes
- Say Pseudo Cheese!