I know! You must think I’m strange or preggers (don’t get any ideas now), but this is incredible. I love PICKLES and PEANUT BUTTER, so when I saw this at The Bricks of Ybor I had to try it. Sure enough I’m in heaven. The combination of sweet and sour flavors amazed me, as well as the texture – crunchiness of the pickles and fluffiness from the bread. I made a YUM-O version of what I had at The Bricks. This time around I used crunchy peanut butter and grilled the bread for a crispy outside.
Inspired by The Bricks of Ybor – Tampa Florida
- Unsalted crunchy peanut butter (Choosy moms choose natural pb. Try to stay away from JIF or Skippy. There’s added sugars and all sorts of unhealthy ingredients)
- Kosher pickles
- 2 slices of wheat bread
- Earth Balance Butter (non-dairy butter)
- Spread peanut butter on two slices of bread.
- Press pickles between paper towels to absorb the juices from the jar.
- Layer pickles.
- Spread non-dairy butter on both ends.
- Grill both sides over medium heat until golden.
Posted in Vegan Recipes, Yum-O
Tagged butter, crunch, crunchy, Earthly Balance Butter, Florida, kosher, natural, non-dairy, pb&p, peanut butter, pickles, sammich, sandwich, Tampa, The Bricks, unsalted, vegan, wheat bread, Ybor
I was not a fan of salads, but I didn’t appreciate the true taste of raw vegetables. I hindered the freshness by drenching my salad with a very unhealthy bleu cheese dressing. I thought I didn’t like salads because of the greens, but it was the heavy dressing that turned me off.
Now I like my salads “naked” – little or no dressing needed. A bit of lemon juice, herbs, salt, and pepper usually does the trick for me. When I order a salad I typically ask for the dressing on the side, so I take it by moderation. Sometimes I find myself snacking on lettuce or spinach by itself. I love how light and crisp leafy greens can be, so the combination of vegetables is simply delicious.
Here’s an extremely easy and healthy Cobb salad recipe. You’ll get the crunchy texture from the lettuce, the sweetness from the corn, the creaminess from the avocado, and a grilled smoky taste from the artichokes. Who needs dressing when you got all those flavors and textures coming together to form a Yum-O salad.
By Shelly Chiang, Makes 1 bowl or 2 small sides
- 1/2 bag of 10 oz romaine lettuce
- 1/2 cup of canned chick peas
- 1/3 cup frozen or fresh corn
- 4 pieces of Monterey Farms Grilled Artichokes (I got this from Whole Foods and it’s a key ingredient, so make sure to get this brand and get it “grilled”)
- 1/4 medium avocado cubed
- 1/4 medium red onion cubed
- 1/2 large tomato cubed
- 1/4 lemon wedge
- Dash of salt
- 1 tsp oregano
- Chop avocado, tomato, red onion, artichokes into cubes
- Boil frozen or fresh corn until tender
- Combine romaine lettuce, chick peas, avocado, tomato, red onion, artichokes, and corn in salad bowl
- Sneeze lemon, and sprinkle oregano, pepper, and a dash of salt.
- Mix and enjoy!
Posted in Vegan Recipes, Yum-O
Tagged artichokes, avocado, chick peas, cobb salad, corn, crunchy, flavors, grilled, healthy, lettuce, light, low calories, low fat, Monterey Farms, naked, no dressing, oregano, red onion, romaine, salad, salt, sweet, texture, tomato, vegan, vegetables